Monday, September 22, 2014

Scrap Buster #3 - Personal Progress Values Bag

I am an Activity Day leader for girls ages 8-11 in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  It's really fun and the girls are amazing.  One fabulous girl is graduating in a week because she is turning 12.  She is moving on to the 12-18 year old group of girls in Young Women and she will be starting Personal Progress, which is really exciting (and I have a feeling she will looove going through the activities in there).  The sad thing is she is leaving us.  Luckily we still get to see her every Sunday!  As a little goodbye gift, I decided to make her a bag.  Of course I decided this about an hour before her goodbye party started.  After 5 (frenzied) minutes of looking through bags on Pinterest, I decided to go for a floppy bag.  It closes without closures and it's a quick, basic structure.  


I ended up choosing to make the body with the 8 colors representing the Personal Progress Values (Faith, Divine Nature, Individual Worth, Knowledge, Choice & Accountability, Good Works, Integrity and Virtue).  The colors are white, blue, red, green orange, yellow, purple and gold.  I had the blue through purple fabrics left over from my WhirlyGig Quilt.  


The gold and white were other scraps, not quilting cotton.  I decided to put a band of those on the top of the other colors, one on each side of the bag.  The strap is from webbing that I had picked up at a thrift store.  It's sewn into the sides where the rainbow and top block of color meet.  The inside is just black quilting cotton.  


This bag was designed, cut and sewn (and last minute photographed) in 45 minutes.  I'm pretty proud of myself.  It's not perfect, but I didn't use a single pin (most obvious issue is the puckered white fabric, but it's quaint because it was homemade, right?)

I hope when she uses this bag it will be a regular reminder of all the amazing qualities she has and is working to strengthen.  She already said she wanted to use it for her Sunday scripture bag.  I love when what I make is used.  

See you soon! (I promise!)
(With projects that have been completed and just need pictures added to the posts)

6 comments:

  1. That is really cool - a great gift - practical and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really love the practical, and I've seen her use it a few times. It makes my day!

      Delete
  2. So cute! I was in YW for a handful of months, and I told my girls if they finished their personal progress while they were still in Mia Maids I would make them a quilt. Its nice to see the Activity Day girls getting excited about personal progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! She also had some friends in YW that had just moved on before her, so she was looking forward to rejoining them. I love the goal of the quilt. That is very impressive on your part!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks! Quick has to happen when you think of it last minute! My best ideas always seem to happen in the 11th hour.

      Delete